The Ammonites lived under the Sea of Thetys millions of years ago. But, how is it possible to find their footprints at the top of the Torcal de Antequera? That and much more is what you will discover on the Route of the Ammonites at sunset, thanks to our best guides.
Are you going to miss it?
Next departures 2023
- June: 9,10, 16, 23, 24, 28, 29
- July: Wednesdays and Saturdays
- August: Wednesday to Saturday. Also Monday August 14
- September: 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16
The “Ruta de los Ammonites” is also offered in the morning most of the year (except in summer). More info here.
Hours (depending on the season) and meeting point
Since this activity depends on the sunset time, the schedule will vary depending on the date, between 6:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. The participant will receive a personalized confirmation message where the correct time will be specified according to the reserved date. The activity lasts approximately 3 hours in total.
The meeting point will be at the Torcal Alto Visitor Center – 30 minutes before departure time. Participants must confirm their arrival at the information point of the Torcal Alto Visitors Center Punctuality is requested.
How to get there with GPS? To get to Torcal de Antequera, the best thing to do in this case is to follow the GPS directions to the city of Antequera and, once there, reprogram the GPS to Torcal de Antequera Visitor Center or Torcal de Antequera Natural Park. The Torcal Alto Visitor Center (meeting point) is located 15km from the city of Antequera, along the A-7075 mountain road.
More information about the Route of the Ammonites at sunset
- Interpretive hiking route through the Torcal de Antequera Natural Area (unmarked trail, guide required). After the reception of participants in the CV Torcal Alto, the guide will welcome the natural space and explain the basic safety regulations, as well as the journey to be made. The visit ends again in the same Visitor Center.
- Length (approx.): 4.50km
- Type: Round
- Terrain: Very irregular and stony
- Difficulty: Low-medium (not recommended for people with knee, hip or ankle injuries, or children under 6 years of age)
- Duration with interpretative stops (approx.): 3 hours. The schedule of the visit will depend on sunset, so the participant will receive a confirmation email with the exact time according to the reserved date, which will be between 6:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m., depending on the reserved date.
- The guide will make various stops along the route to interpret the landscape (geology, flora, fauna, human history in El Torcal…)
- Regular: €12
- Reduced (under 12 years): €10
*This activity only covers the guide service of the monitors, the necessary materials and the relevant insurance. In no case is transportation to the places where the activities are carried out or supplies included.
** The activity will be suspended if a minimum number of registered participants is not reached. In such a case, participants will be notified by email (please check that you have entered your email address correctly in the booking form and also your “Junk Mail” or “SPAM” folder).
Recommendations to participate in the Route of the Ammonites
- Use of sufficient warm clothing and raincoat. El Torcal de Antequera is a natural mountain setting at more than 1,200 meters above sea level. Check the weather here.
- Use of mountain boots or similar footwear. The terrain is very stony and irregular. Good footwear can prevent accidents and ankle sprains.
- Bring drinking water and some food.
- Front light or flashlight. Towards the end of the route, it is likely that there will be little light.
- Due to the steepness of the terrain, this activity is not recommended for people with mobility problems, delicate knees or hips, or children under 6 years of age. The organization reserves the right of admission to people who do not meet the minimum requirements to make the journey safely.
- Pets: pets are allowed in the Natural Park as long as the current regulations in protected natural spaces are complied with, always on a leash and under the custody of the owner.
- Recommended not to smoke. Remember that we are in a natural area of high ecological value, and the summer months are considered a high risk of fire.
For more information and contact
Check the “Spam” or “Junk Mail” tray once the reservation is formalized