Route of the Ammonites
Ammonites lived under the Sea of Thetys millions of years ago. But, how is it possible to find their footprints at the top of Torcal de Antequera? That and much more is what you will discover on the Route of the Ammonites, thanks to our best guides.
- Autumn 2020 to Spring 2021: We will visit again in the morning from September 13. Remember, every weekend and holidays.
- Spring and Summer 2021: Check here to “Ammonites route at sunset” (coming soon)
- Also available for private groups. Ask for more information at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Meeting point and time:
Torcal Alto Visitor Center – 10: 00h. Participants must confirm their arrival at Reception. Please note the restriction of access to Torcal Alto.
How to get there with GPS? To get to Torcal de Antequera, the best is to follow the GPS indications to the city of Antequera in first place, and once there, reprogram the GPS to the “Paraje Natural Torcal de Antequera” or “Centro de Visitantes El Torcal de Antequera“. The Torcal Alto Visitor Centre (meeting point), is located 15km from the city of Antequera, along the A-7075 mountain road.
More information about “Route of the Ammonites”:
- Guided hiking trail through the Torcal de Antequera Natural Area (unmarked path, guide required). After check-in of participants in the Visitor Centre Torcal Alto, the guide will welcome the natural area and explain the basic safety rules, as well as the route to be taken. The visit ends again in the same starting point.
- Length (approx.): 4,50km
- Type: Circular
- Terrain: Very irregular and stony
- Difficulty: Medium-low. Not recommended for people with medical problems in the joints of the legs (knees, ankles, hips) or children under 7 years of age.
- Time of visit (approx.): 10:15 am to 1:15 am
- The guide will make several stops along the route to interpret the landscape (geology, flora, fauna, history of man in the Torcal …)
- 9€/children under 12
- Reduced rates for groups from 15 people. Request more information at email@example.com
* This activity only covers the guide service of the monitors, the necessary materials and the relevant insurance. In no case it is included the transport to the places where the activities are carried out nor the victualling.
** The activity will be suspended if a minimum number of registered participants is not reached. In this case, participants will be notified by e-mail (check that you have correctly entered your e-mail address in the booking form and also your “Spam” or “SPAM” folder).
Recommendations to participate in “Route of Ammonites” and Covid-19 (coronavirus) measures:
- Warm clothes and raincoat. Remember that the Torcal de Antequera Natural Park is a mountain above 1200 meters and with strong north winds and frequent foggy days. Check here the weather forecast.
- Hiking boots or trekking shoes. Due to the irregular and steep terrain, it is strongly discouraged to choose any other type of footwear.
- Small backpack with water and some food.
- The trail is very rocky and slippery. For this reason, this activity is not recommended for people with leg problems (weak knees, ankles or hips), nor for those under 7 years of age. If the guide believes that a person will not be able to make the visit safely, he will ask you to leave for his own safety.
- Pets are allowed but must be tied all time. The Natural Park has a specific regulation about it.
For more information and reservation problems:
- The booking platform has bugs on Ipad and Iphone. If you have problems, please contact or try another device.